Tuesday, January 16, 2007

We Need Something Good to Happen

I just read something that really depressed me.

"Cowpower" over at the Pack, posted his 10,000th message today. 10,000.

That made me wonder, how long does it take to post 10,000 messages on a message board dedicated primarily to bitching about Mississippi State athletics?

Apparently, it takes since September 22, 2003.

And that my dear friends is depressing. And I think it's depressing to most people with a vested interest in the success of State athletics. Now don't misunderstand, I don't think too many of us are worried about poor Mr. Cowpower and that fact that he apparently has nothing better to do than type 10,000 messages in a 3 year period. We're depressed because during the past three year period Mississippi State students, alumni and fans, have had virtually nothing to cheer about.

Football has been atrocious. Basketball certainly had its regular season moments, and I thank them for that. The class of 2004 (Rhodes, Sharpe, Hosuton) was a huge bust and cost the team their momentum going into the '04/'05 campaign (and we're still trying to recover). And baseball has been giving us squat.

I love Mississippi State University, and I'm tired of watching my alma mater flounder.

State fans need a win. Something positive. We need a Sweet Sixteen or a CWS or god-forbid, a winning football season. We need some magic for the collective pysche of all Maroon-clad faithful.

To sum this ramble up, the Kentucky game on Saturday night was the perfect opportunity for something big to take shape. The perfect opportunity for a State team to over-achieve and then build on that success. And they were close. So close. But, as usual these past few years, they came up short.

How's the saying go old timers??

"We'll get 'em next time!"

...and in writing that, I think a little part of me just died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home