Friday, July 21, 2006

Easy....

“This will be our turnaround season.” - Coach Croom

Croom, what are ya thinkin'?

Please let those words be true. I hope as much or more than anyone that they will be.

However, in the court of public opinion, there are two keys to always coming up on the right side.

1. Under promise.

2. Over deliver.

Croom has taken away his ability to over deliver. If we win ten games (over delivering) - he said it would be a turn-around and it was. If we win six games (delivering) - he said it would be a turn-around and it was. If we win five or less(undeliver), not so much of a turn-around - but he said it would be, so he becomes a liar.

Never a hero in this equation (short of winning the conference). Only a man who meets expectations or a goat.

Why paint yourself into that type of corner?

Note: I like Croom. I'm on the record as being in the "Croom Camp." As a fan, I enjoy his honesty and his outlook. But I want him to succeed. And to truly be successful, I think he needs 5-7 years - and he won't get the time if he is constantly disappointing the fanbase. I wish we had strong enough personalities in our AD's media department to help him temper expectations - not heighten them. Don't get me wrong, I feel that we should win 5 games this year. But is that a turn-around?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, 5 wins is not a turnaround. 6 wins or more is a turnaround. In other words, we have to be bowl eligible for it to be a turnaround. 5 wins is only progress.

Anything less than 5 wins is shameful for Croom's third year, and he will be hearing it from the folks who he told before the season that this year we'd turn things around.

1:08 AM, August 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it strange to read back over old post now. I was in the "Croom Camp" myself, until the Auburn weekend. He hasn't completely lost the whole fan base, but it is getting really ugly for almost everyone. So much for the turn around!!

7:20 PM, September 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home